Saturday, April 18, 2015

The Libyan III

Once again in the vein of Michaelangelo's Libyan in the Sistene Chapel, I designed a new composition, this time in steel, after having done wood and stone. I started with what I found to be an interesting form, a piece of flatbar with compound curves. This became the curve of the hem of the Libyan's toga.


In all, I, each for the first time, used a tap and die method, welded, oxyacetylene torch-cut, and forged   some part of this piece. I would be lying if I said it wasn't rushed. I mean these welds, along with the whole piece really, make just a big experimental, lets-try-this, scrapyard sculpture. Do not proceed if you are uncomfortable with lousy metal joinery.



 


I added rust and the little baby 1/4" stock to make a slight sense of scale.


No comments:

Post a Comment