Saturday, April 18, 2015

Outdoor Sculpture Plans: The LookOut

For our final project, we have to make a large-scale outdoor sculpture. I absolutely love outdoor work because it becomes a free-to-the-public, educational monument for folks to gawk at. Love it. So when the opportunity came, naturally I became frazzled and hit an artist's block.
It started with a handful of sketches and thoughts ranging from my long stood by gothic-style stuff to the modernish work that already exists outside the school..
 
It was decided that I would do a version of the clean, polished stuff that is outside (the #2 page). I made model after model that didn't work. Changed plans. Drew up plans. Made a model. Revamped it. Sketched. I finally had an idea that was better than the rest, but I wouldn't say I was whole heartedly in with this design, but hey, it was go time and I had to make a model.
 

I called it "Wishbone" or "Two Snakey Things Fighting Over a Piece of Flatbar". I had already started, the morning it was due, making the model when, like every stroke of genius, it happened at the MOST inopportune time. I found some scraps.







These two chunks of pine were more interesting than all of my sketches, so I went from there.
 

Now, the design seems a little cold. Kind of sharp, intimidating, authoritative. People said it reminded them of a cop. Hence, "LookOut". I did mean for the piece to be human-esque because it fits with the rhythm in the garden of personal, but individual, sculptures repeating around a corner. However the coldness was not intentional originally. I really would not want my legacy at the school (if chosen) to be one of intimidation. Therefore, I need to find ways to make it approachable. One way will definitely be to make oversized wooden nuts/bolts to add humor and irony. I'm thinking like a Gru from Despicable Me with his spooky frame but oversized nose and tiny head. I could also soften some of the curves, I could make that wooden block bulge like its being squished, ect, ect. Colors could also change:




I want to also increase the size... It will be expensive and stay there for awhile, so I want this to be good.
Any ideas???

No comments:

Post a Comment